The old fortress Visoko is located on the top of the pyramidal shaped hill Visocica. It was first mentioned in 1355 in the Charter of Ban Tvrtko, but it is well-known that the fortress had been built much earlier. It was residence of Bosnian bans and kings.
When Ottomans had occupied Bosna and Herzegovina, the fortress lost its strategic importance and started to dacey.
Archaeological researches and renovation have started in 2007.